Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

And Then It's the Second Day....

DSC 1257

I love Mommy moments that take my breath away…moments that I know will be etched in my brain when I am old in a "rest home" somewhere learning to play bridge.

Lyla bounded out of the car as usual on this second day of school - she never even looked back when Ms. Marian showed up to whisk her away. 

Cade and I drove to the library to drop off some books in the 30 minutes preceding his first car line experience with his teacher, Ms. Jennifer. He chatted happily about school and books, Lyla and his friend Eli. And, then, it was his turn. We were back in car line, this time it was his car line, behind one of his classmates. It began to register with him that he would be getting out of the car just like his sister, and Mommy would be driving away.

I took a deep breath and willed my own tears away as I looked into his (suddenly) fearful eyes. I sang to him and reminded him that Mommy comes back…always, always, always…Mommy comes back. 

And, then, Ms. Jennifer was at the door. 

She opened it with the chirp of the happiest bird on the planet - “Hi Cade! You’re such a big boy! I’m so excited about our day! I know you can get down on your own, so I’m just going to unbuckle you and let you do it yourself…"

I held my breath. And, then came the Mommy moment:

Just like that, he climbed out of his seat, out of the car, waved a quick goodbye to me and was off to school.

He stood in front of the door, clutching his little red fox backpack, looked up at Ms. Jennifer and smiled his most crinkly-nosed smile.

And all was right with the world. 

I was met with an overwhelming sense of pride and happiness coupled with gut wrenching sadness that my beloved baby boy is officially off to adventures without Mommy by his side.

So, I cried a few tears and then basked in the warmth of sweet success. 

We did it. We all did it today. 

And, that is how I’m going to remember today. Forever and ever and ever. 

IMG 7532

 

No comments:

Post a Comment