Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Beautiful Belly

Lancina with our beautiful Godson, Rand.

My friend Jill was a bit astonished when she visited a couple of weeks ago. We were walking through the mall and she said that she never realized how closely strangers seem to pay attention to pregnant women. Everywhere we went, we were met by downward stares toward my belly or by open commentary about it.

Admittedly, all this belly attention has been a bit hard for me to digest at times throughout my pregnancy. My very wise friend Martina has told me more than once that I need to love my belly and enjoy every moment of it. I have listened to this advice and have focused on appreciating every movement, every shape, and every hiccup from within.

My belly is big. Very big. I don't know if it's because Lancina is going to be a big girl or if it's because I'm so small, but there have been times when I've rammed into doorways or haven't been able to fit in spaces that were never a problem before. My sweet belly is always there, entering the room before me.

I've noticed that as our pregnancy has progressed, people, often complete strangers, are compelled to say whatever comes to mind about the size of my belly or about pregnancy in general. I've heard labor and delivery horror stories from random sales clerks at Gymboree, and I've been met with recollections of Thanksgiving birthdays that resulted in no turkey and dressing for the laboring mother.

I've decided that my belly is cause for celebration, no matter how you look at it. With that in mind, as I prepare to end this magical (and I use that word very purposefully because it really is a magical phase of life) chapter of our story, here are a few of my favorite belly comments:

1. "Is there just one in there or are there two?"

2. "That's some butterball you've got there!"

3. And my personal favorite, "How on earth do you keep from toppling forward?!" (Thanks, Steven. You're lucky that one made me laugh. Ha!)

I love my belly. I love everything about it, especially the miracle inside. And, I'm so blessed that she's big and healthy.

The other day, Aunt Shana said something characteristically prolific: "You're never alone right now, are you?"

That's a great way of putting it - Lancina is my constant companion, "hanging out" in there, waiting to make her entrance.

We really are in this together, and for that Lance & I feel blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment