Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Life Today

The weather was beautiful today - hard to believe it’s July in Kentucky. It feels more like the later days of September, fall-like. It feels a little unnatural for this time of year - seems more like we should be avoiding sweltering temps, eating popsicles and running through sprinklers.

But, we’ll take the simple pleasures of a day like today. Lyla went to summer fun day this morning at her school, and Cade and I went on a few errands of our own while she was there. Immediately after our grocery trip, he was ready to pick her to show her the new cupcake sprinkles he conned me into buying. 

After lunch and a semblance of quiet time (we don’t do naps around here anymore…there isn’t much break in the action from 7:30ish a.m. until 9 p.m.), we tried a very successful new egg-free cupcake recipe for Cade as we will need a plethora of egg free cupcakes to keep up with our August birthday party schedule. 

We spent some time outside playing - Lyla thumbing through a doll magazine she received in the mail today and Cade playing with moon sand and intentionally knocking over any ant hill he could find, saying they’re “dirty”. This is when we took this picture - it was one of those moments when all is right with the world - the clouds beautiful overhead, skies all blue. I love these two so much I can’t stand it. 

Photo

This photo is actually from earlier in the day - I jokingly sent it to Lance at work saying that this scenario lasted approximately 2 minutes. It was a great photo opportunity, though:

Photo 2

Lastly, and remarkably, - our sweet girl is getting more and more like me every day. She was watching a television show tonight while Lance and I were deep in discussion after dinner. We have become so accustomed to being interrupted that I’ve started working with the kids on saying, “Excuse me” prior to railing in on all of our conversations. This time, she stood there - “Mommy, did you see my tears?” I looked down at her as she looked up - and she had tears in her eyes. The moment I realized it, she broke into sobs and ran to me, arms outstretched. She had been touched by something that had happened in the program she was watching, and I think she was more shocked by her emotional reaction than anyone: “Mommy, it was just so sweet when he hugged his little brother - it was just so sweet! It made me think of Cade."

I love this little girl - I know she’s ours, but I think she tremendously special in so many ways. Beyond her years and child like, all at the same time. 

Photo 2 copy

Another day of summertime magic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment